Earthly is a super simple CI/CD framework that gives you repeatable builds that you write once and run anywhere; has a simple, instantly recognizable syntax; and works with every language, framework, and build tool. With Earthly, you can create Docker images and build artifacts (e.g. binaries, packages, and arbitrary files).
Earthly fits between language-specific tooling and the CI
Earthly's key features/benefits are:
- 🔁 Repeatable Builds Earthly runs all builds in containers, making them self-contained, isolated, repeatable, and portable. When you write a build, you know it will execute correctly no matter where it runs – your laptop, a colleague’s laptop, or any CI. You don’t have to configure language-specific tooling, install additional dependencies, or complicate your build scripts to ensure they are compatible with different OSs. Earthly gives you consistent, repeatable builds regardless of where they run.
- ❤️ Super Simple Earthly’s syntax is easy to write and understand. Most engineers can read an Earthfile instantly, without prior knowledge of Earthly. We combined some of the best ideas from Dockerfiles and Makefiles into one specification – like Dockerfile and Makefile had a baby.
- 🛠 Compatible with Every Language, Framework, and Build Tool One of the key principles of Earthly is that the best build tooling for a specific language is built by the community of that language itself. Earthly does not intend to replace any language-specific build tooling, but rather to leverage and augment them. Earthly works with the compilers and build tools you use. If it runs on Linux, it runs on Earthly. And you don’t have to rewrite your existing builds or replace your
Cargo.tomlfiles. You can use Earthly as a wrapper around your existing tooling and still get Earthly’s repeatable builds, parallel execution, and build caching.
- 🏘 Great for Monorepos and Polyrepos Earthly is great for both monorepos and polyrepos. You can split your build logic across multiple Earthfiles, placing some deeper inside the directory structure or even in other repositories. Referencing targets from other Earthfiles is easy regardless of where they are stored. So you can organize your build logic however makes the most sense for your project.
- 💨 Fast Builds Earthly automatically executes build targets in parallel and makes maximum use of cache. This makes builds fast. Earthly also has powerful shared caching capabilities that speed up builds frequently run across a team or in sandboxed environments, such as Earthly Satellites, GitHub Actions, or your CI. If your build has multiple steps, Earthly will:
- 1.Build a directed acyclic graph (DAG).
- 2.Isolate execution of each step.
- 3.Run independent steps in parallel.
- 4.Cache results for future use.
- ♻️ Reuse, Don't Repeat Never have to write the same code in multiple builds again. With Earthly, you can reuse targets, artifacts, and images across multiple Earthfiles, even ones in other repositories, in a single line. Earthly is cache-aware, based on the individual hashes of each file, and has shared caching capabilities. So you can create a vast and efficient build hierarchy that only executes the minimum required steps.
Earthly Cloud is a cloud-based build automation platform that allows you to run your Earthly builds in the cloud, and is compatible with any CI. Earthly Cloud gives teams repeatable pipelines that run exactly the same in CI as on your laptop; has an automatic and instantly available build cache that makes builds faster; and is super simple to use.
Earthly is better when you're logged in to Earthly Cloud, and Earthly Cloud has a generous free tier that includes additional capabilities like:
- Sharing cache with your team
- Remote build runners
- Shared logs
- Shared secrets